World corn market: analysis, trends and prospects of its deep processing
Purpose. The purpose of the article is to determine the prospects of deep processing of corn in Ukraine, taking into account the restraining factors of development, on the basis of the analysis of the state and tendencies of functioning of the world market of corn.
Methodology / approach. During the research, general scientific and special research methods were used, in particular: analysis and synthesis, scientific abstraction – in determining the purpose and formulating conclusions; comparative, calculation, statistical and graphical ones – in the assessment, analysis, comparison and establishment of patterns of the current state and trends in the production of corn and its deep processing; program-target one – to substantiate the factors of intensification of deep processing of corn in Ukraine.
Results. The analysis was carried out and tendencies of world corn production were determined. The shares of countries-producers and countries-consumers of corn were calculated; their dynamics of changes were analyzed. Analysis of the dynamics of prices for corn grain on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange indicates that the price of raw materials is gradually declining, so agricultural enterprises that sell corn as a raw material, lose income from its production. The structure of corn use in different directions in the world was analyzed, and the structure of its use in the USA was considered in more detail. Factors of activation of deep processing of corn were identified. In Ukraine, deep grain processing as an industry is just beginning to develop, so it is worth processing corn, based on the experience of leading countries, such as the USA and China. Estimated costs for the construction of a modern plant for deep processing of corn and income from the implementation of this investment project were calculated.
Originality/scientific novelty. The scientific novelty of the study is a comprehensive analysis of the world corn market; economic substantiation of expediency of corn processing in Ukraine; improving the system of factors to intensify the development of deep processing of corn in Ukraine.
Practical value / implications. The practical value of the results of the study is that they will contribute to the formation of the concept of intensifying the development of deep processing of corn in Ukraine. The main results can be used by agro-industrial enterprises during the development of deep corn processing projects.
2. Rooney, L. W. and Serna-Saldivar, S. O. (2015), Tortillas: wheat flour and corn products, 1 st ed. Woodhead Publishing and AACC International Press, UK. https://doi.org/10.1016/C2015-0-06190-1.
3. Yang, Y., Zhou, Z. and Qin, F. (2014), Analysis and forecast of world corn market trade and policy in Proceedings of selected articles of 2013 world agricultural outlook conference, ed. S. Xu. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-54356-2_9.
4. Michalczyk, J. (2017), Znaczenie lokalnej żywności oraz krótkich łańcuchów dostaw w kształtowaniu zrównoważonego rozwoju rolnictwa i obszarów wiejskich w Unii Europejskiej. Ekonomia Międzynarodowa, no. 17, pp. 5–20. https://doi.org/10.18778/2082-4440.17.01.
5. Lang, T. and Heasman, M. (2015), Food wars. The global battle for mouths, minds and markets, 2 nd ed. Routledge Earthscan, New York, USA. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781849776011.
6. Baker, L. E. (2012), Corn meets maize: food movements and markets in Mexico, 1-st ed., Rowman, New York, USA.
7. Congxia, L. (2004), Research of quickening development of deep machining industry of corn in Heilongjiang province. System Sciences and Comprehensive Studies in Agriculture, is. 1, pp. 37–39.
8. Guiyan, Z. (2013), Problems and countermeasures of corn deep processing industry of Jilin Province. Journal of Jilin Agricultural Science and Technology University, vol. 01, available at: http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTotal-TCGB201301017.htm
9. Savkina, V. and Honcharova, V. (2014), Prospect for the development of corn production and consumption. Molodyi vchenyi, no. 6(09), pp. 22–23.
10. Duhiienko, N. and Pidopryhora, О. (2018), Export features of crop products of Ukraine. Bulletin of the Zaporizhia National University. Economic sciences, no. 1(37), pp. 87–92.
11. Nelep, V. and Vysotska, О. (2014), Export prospects for agriculture and food industry of Ukraine. Ekonomika APK, no. 3, pp. 72–78.
12. Trusova, N., Tanklevska, N., Prystemskiy, O., Hryvkivska, O. and Advokatova, N. (2019), Determinants of the development venture financing of the subjects of agrarian market of Ukraine. Asia Life Sciences. The Asian International Journal of Life Sciences, no. 21(1), pр. 377–391.
13. Petrenko, V. and Karnaushenko, A. (2017), Jont enterprises in foreign trade activity of Ukraine. Baltic Journal of Economic Studies, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 203–207 https://doi.org/10.30525/2256-0742/2017-3-5-203-207.
14. Іhnatenko, M., Marmul, L., Petrenko, V., Karnaushenko, A. and Levaieva L. (2020), Innovative tools in the methodology and teaching of the basic principles of enterprise management. International Journal of Management, vol. 11, is. 06, pp. 847–854. https://doi.org/10.34218/IJM.11.6.2020.073.
15. Mesel-Veseliak, V. (2015), Production of alternative energy sources as a factor of improvement of efficiency of agricultural enterprises. Ekonomika APK, no. 2. pp. 18–27.
16. Polishkevych, О. (2011), Effectiveness of the corn use to produce alternative fuels. Ukrainian Black Sea region agrarian science, vol. 3(60), pp. 76–80.
17. Prishlyak, N. and Baldyniuk, V. (2019), Efficiency of agricultural production as a feedstock for biofuels production. Agrosvit, vol. 21. pp. 47–58. https://doi.org/10.32702/2306-6792.2019.21.47.
18. Official site of Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (2020), available at: http://www.fao.org/faostat/ru/#data.
19. Orlov, O. (2020), Corn Cost. Equily.Today, available at: https://equity.today/kukuruza-na-birzhe.html.
20. Analysis of the world market for products of deep processing of corn (2019), available at: https://inventure.com.ua/analytics/investments/analiz-mirovogo-rynka-produktov-glubokoj-pererabotki-kukuruzy.
21. Corn market and products of its processing (2014), available at: https://agrotimes.ua/article/rinok-kukurudzi-ta-produktiv-yiyi-pererobki.
22. Growing corn for grain and the prospects for obtaining alternative energy sources (2019), available at: http://hipzmag.com/tehnologii/rastenievodstvo/viroshhuvannya-kukurudzi-na-zerno-ta-perspektivi-otrimannya-alternativnih-dzherel-energiyi.
23. Gwirtz, J. A. and Garcia-Casal, M. N. (2014), Processing maize flour and corn meal food products. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1312, is. 1, pp. 66–75. https://doi.org/doi:10.1111/nyas.12299.
24. A corn processing plant to be built in Vinnitsa region for 14 mln USD (2019), available at: http://naas.gov.ua/newsall/newsukraine/?ELEMENT_ID=5066.
25. A corn processing plant to be built in Ternopil region for 200 mln USD (2019), available at: https://latifundist.com/novosti/47392-na-ternopolshchine-postroyat-zavod-po-pererabotke-kukuruzy-za-200-mln.
26. Hilorme, T., Perevozova, I., Sakun, A., Reznik, O. and Khaustova, Y. (2020), Accounting model of human capital assessment within the information space of the enterprise. Academy of Accounting and Financial Studies Journal, vol. 24, is. 3, рр. 1–7.
27. Havlovska, N., Rudnichenko, Ye. and Lisovskyi, I. (2019), Transformation processes in the system of providing economic security of investment activities of industrial enterprises. Baltic Journal of Economic Studies, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 18–23. https://doi.org/10.30525/2256-0742/2019-5-2-18-23.
28. Koliński, A., Śliwczyński, B. and Golińska-Dawson, P. (2016), Evaluation model for production process economic efficiency. Logforum, is. 12(2), 3. https://doi.org/10.17270/J.LOG.2016.2.3.
29. Shynkaruk, L., Ivanchenkova, L., Kychko, I., Kartashova, O., Melnyk, Y. and Ovcharenko, T. (2020), Managing the economy's investment attractiveness of the state as a component of international business development. International Journal of Management, vol. 11, is. 5, pp. 240–251. https://doi.org/10.34218/IJM.11.5.2020.024.
30. Voronkova, O., Sorokina, V. and Baburin, S. (2019), The organizational-economic mechanism for the development of integration processes in the production and processing of products. International Journal of Economics and Business Administration, vol. VII, is. 2, pp. 207–214. https://doi.org/10.35808/ijeba/236.
31. Hayyan, A., Hashim, M. A., Hayyan, M., Mjalli F. S. and AlNashef, I. M. (2014), A new processing route for cleaner production of biodiesel fuel using a choline chloride based deep eutectic solvent. Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 65, рр. 246–251. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.08.031.
32. Kotsupatriy, M., Ksonzhyk, I., Skrypnyk, S., Shepel, I. and Koval, S. (2020), Use of international accounting and financial reporting standards in enterprise management. International Journal of Management, vol. 11, is. 5, pp. 788–796. https://doi.org/10.34218/IJM.11.5.2020.071.
33. Trusova, N., Tanklevska, N., Synchak, V., Prystеmskyi, O. and Tereshchenko, M. (2020), State support of agro-insurance of agricultural risks in the market of goods derivatives of Ukraine. Industrial Engineering & Management System, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 93–102. https://doi.org/10.7232/iems.2020.19.1.093.
34. Hrubá, R. and Tanklevska, N. (2018), Relationship between the knowledge economy and the education system in the context of intercultural communication. Central and Eastern Europe in the Changing Business Environment: materials of 18th International Joint Conference, 25 May 2018, University of Economics, Prague, University of Economics in Bratislava, Slovakia.
35. Romanenko, Y., Boiko, V., Shevchuk, S., Barabanova, V. and Karpinska, N. (2020), Rural development by stimulating agro-tourism activities. International Journal of Management, vol. 11, is. 4, pp. 605–613. https://doi.org/10.34218/IJM.11.4.2020.058.
36. Pinto, J., Cruz, D., Paiva, A., Pereira, S., Tavares, P., Fernandes, L. and Varum, H. (2012), Characterization of corn cob as a possible raw building material. Construction and Building Materials, vol. 34, рр. 28–33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.02.014.
37. Bordini, J., Ono, M., Hirozawa, M., Garcia, G. and Vizoni, E. (2019), Safety of corn and corn-based products intended for human consumption concerning fumonisins from a Brazilian processing plant. Toxins, vol. 11(1), 33. https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins11010033.
38. Kauppinen, L., Siddiqui, A. and Salo, A. (2018), Investing in time-to-build projects with uncertain revenues and costs: a real options approach. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, vol. 65, is. 3, рр. 448–453. https://doi.org/10.1109/tem.2018.2803304.
39. Kaliyan, N., Morey, R. V., Tiffany, D. G. and Lee, W. F. (2014), Life cycle assessment of a corn stover torrefaction plant integrated with a corn ethanol plant and a coal fired power plant. Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 63, рр. 92–100. https://doi.org//10.1016/j.biombioe.2014.02.008.
40. Trusova, N. V., Cherniavska, T. A., Kyrylov, Y. Y., Hranovska, V. H., Skrypnyk, S. V. and Borovik, L. V. (2020), Investment attractiveness of the economy of the world countries in the polystructural space of foreign direct investments. Journal of Advanced Research in Law and Economics, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 645–660. https://doi.org/10.14505/jarle.v11.2(48).35.
41. Rusnak, A., Pulianovych, O., Kozak, Yu., Gribincea, A. and Lytvyn, N. Yu. (2020), Innovative priorities of Ukraine in the context of global economic trends. Journal of Advanced Research in Law and Economics, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1376–1387. https://doi.org/10.14505/jarle.v11.4(50).34.